Monday, October 15, 2012

Happy, Sad, Happy Kind of Day

    Its been a while since I have updated so I thought perhaps today that I should. Life has been of course pretty busy with holidays coming, Gabriella's many doctor appointments and physical therapy sessions. A couple of weeks ago we went to see an eye doctor for miss Gabby. Of course I was a bit nervous as to what he would find but I kept positive.

     Upon examination the doctor informed me of what I feared most, there was optic nerve damage. Your optic nerves of the eyes are what sends signals to and from your brain of what you are seeing. Gabriella's are damaged from the bleed that occurred in utero. I had so badly hoped prior to our appointment that what I feared wasn't reality but it is. Thats the sad news but as the exam progressed he informed me some great news; Gabriella is not blind nor is she "legally blind". She can see and that is very evident to us :) As for how FAR or well she can actually she (as in 20/20 20/40 etc) he cannot determine until she is much older and able to read an eye exam chart. And then, MORE GOOD NEWS.. He said he believes in cord blood infusions (which we have already had the one) and is axious to see how Gabby does after her next two. The doctor said he believes the infuisons will continue to help to repair her eyes and that he has sent patients for these same procedures before.

    So needless to say it was a mixed emotion day but I left that appointment with the same amount of hope and excitement for my little girl as I have always had even since the very first diagnosis while she was in utero. She's amazing and I know she will forever remain that way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment