Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Amnio results/C section postponed

What a crazy past couple of days! Yesterday was my amniocentesis. I had an ultrasound prior to the amnio for growth of the baby and to check her ventricles. As of yesterday her ventricles are measuring at approximately 24mm and 27mm which is actually smaller than the last measurement of 32mm and 28mm! Her head circumference is measuring right now at almost 35cm which is measuring at a few weeks ahead of her gestation but hey we are right here at the end so I am thankful that her head is not larger because that is extremely common with this diagnosis! Her vents have REALLY appeared to have stabalized and I am totally happy with this! Also another great find is that she is measuring to be about 7.3Ibs!!! We have a little friendly betting going on with family and friends as to how big and how long she will be. I was 10 pounds and 22 inches long at birth so I thought for sure she'd be way bigger than her tiny 7 pounds :)

Ok so how does an amnio feel.. hmmm.. well the anticipation was AWFUL! After the ultrasound the tech went to go find the doctor so he could look over the pictures and then perform the amnio. As I am sitting in the room with my mom waiting for the doctor to come in I am basically FORCED to stare at the bedside table FULL of instruments neccessary for the amnio!! There was iodine, alcohol, blue drapes, lidocaine, and a HUGE needle. So the was getting a little anxious. The doctor FINALLY came into the room and I was like a geeky nervous kid lol. He shook my hand and before he could say anything I was giggling nervously saying "Im really scared". They found a nice pocket of fluid with the ultrasound, wiped the blue gel off my belly and began setting up. The doctor cleaned my belly, covered it with iodine and placed the ultrasound probe into a glove so that he didn't get any gel on my belly. He bounced his finger on my stomach where the u/s probe was to make sure it was a good pocket of fluid and a good spot for him to place the needle. I watched him take the needle out of the package, I gasped, turned my head and covered my eyes (I was so scared!!). I felt the needle go into my uterus quickly, "hmm not so bad" I said to myself. It was a little uncomfortable when he pushed the needle a little further and while he connected the little plunger to withdraw the fluid from Gabriella's amniotic sac. All of a sudden the weirdest feeling and what felt like a tightening in that one spot of my belly was beginning to happen as he pulled back the plunger. It felt like a contraction in that one area, not very painful but very uncomfortable and a strange feeling. What felt like 10 minutes only 30 seconds had passed and we were done. He showed me the fluid and said that it looked good by sight because it was cloudy. He said the cloudier it is the more mature the lungs will be. For the next 45 minutes I was hooked up for a non stress test to make sure I was not going to go into labor. Everything was good I was just waiting for results at this point which would take about an hour for the rapid results. They were looking for a number of 35,000 for the c section to be able to happen the following morning. About an hour went by and the phone rang. "Sorry but the amnio was immature, we have to send it for the next test which will take until 6pm tonight your doctor will call you" said the nurse on the other end of the phone. UGH!!! Immature? Longer waiting? Ok I will just stay busy until the call. With hope of her maturity being found in this next test I waited for the phone to ring. Unfortunately when it rang it was my OB stating the lungs are in fact immature and we would not be delivering the next day :(. So here I am, delivery date here and no baby yet :( My new plan is now ANOTHER amnio on Tuesday February 28th and if lungs are good then delivery on the 29th. February 29th is a leap year this year and ironically also my mom's birthday! I definitely wouldn't mind the 29th being Gabby's birthday so now onto waiting for next week and praying all the lung maturity is GREAT and we can deliver Wednesday! IM SO READY TO MEET MY LITTLE GIRL!! But I had asked God to make sure she is healthy and I guess He is doing just that :) I am so blessed and I cannot wait until next week!

On a lighter note this afternoon my mom and I went and took maternity pics :) Im trying to enjoy my last week of being pregnant the best way that I can!




No comments:

Post a Comment